Re: [CQ-Contest] Level Playing Field and Geography

To: "Joe" <nss@mwt.net>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Level Playing Field and Geography
From: steve.root@culligan4water.com
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 20:26:46 +0000
Distance has very little to do with difficulty. Propagation is all about North
and South. People southwest of me have much better propagation to Europe than I
do even though I'm "closer". By the same token, folks in 4 land enjoy vastly
better propagation to Asia than I'll ever experience. Distance based scoring
wouldn't help me in the least.

The ONLY thing that "levels the playing field" is recognition of superior
efforts in limited geographical areas. I doubt the sponsors of most contests,
especially CQ, even consider such things. Hence the dismissive "participant"
label as opposed to "competitor".

73 Steve K0SR