Re: [CQ-Contest] Low Power vs High Power

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Low Power vs High Power
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2015 10:12:27 -0700
On Thu,6/4/2015 5:51 AM, Ed Sawyer wrote:
Did anybody else feel like VY2ZM sounded "a tad light" this weekend when
called?  Did anyone hear me for the first time this contest season and say -
wow - that's louder than I have ever heard Ed?

Hi Ed,

It's important to remember that antenna directivity and band conditions can affect signal strength far more than the 10 dB difference between 150W and 1500W. When I'm working east coast stations, who are almost always pointed their beams to EU, they're mostly weak. Likewise, when I work KH6, VK, or ZL, I'm usually pointed to EU, so they're weak. If I'm using my SteppIR on the band in question, I can reverse it if necessary.

73, Jim K9YC