Re: [CQ-Contest] Time to ban logging software and return to paper

To: "Stu Phillips" <stu@baypartners.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Time to ban logging software and return to paper
From: "Radio K0HB" <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 16:52:40 -0000
I tend to be a little less of a purist regarding "assistance".

Actually, I carry a mental model which divides assistance into two categories, "primary" and "secondary".

My definition of primary assistance is "information which links a specific callsign to a specific frequency in real time during the contest". Examples would be cluster spots, skimmer spots (RBN and local), 2-meter spotting nets, etc. In other words, information which directly points you to a point-bearing contact. (I think this is the classic definition used by most contest sponsors.)

My view of secondary assistance is information harvested from previous logs (yours or others) such as SCP, call history, and other similar "pre-fills". This category doesn't point you to a specific contact, but provides you with "hints" or verification based on historical data, or "calculated" pre-fills (such as Zone prefill in CQWW.) (I don't think any sponsor currently defines this as assistance in their rules.)

The key concept in both of my definitions is "information" which you did not copy off the air in real time.

Beyond that, I consider the many functions of software as labor-saving "paperwork and housekeeping" tools, not as assistance in gathering "loggable information".

73, de Hans, K0HB

-----Original Message----- From: Stu Phillips