[CQ-Contest] ARRL November Sweepstakes Phone Results Correction

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL November Sweepstakes Phone Results Correction
From: "Wilhelm, Matthew, W1MSW" <w1msw@arrl.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 19:11:02 +0000
It was discovered not long after the release of the 2014 November Sweepstakes
Phone results that there was a problem with how log checking handled the W1AW
portable stations celebrating the ARRL Centennial.  The software treated the
entries as a single call sign, so if both were worked during the contest, only
one was counted and the other considered a dupe.  This caused anyone working
both stations to lose a QSO and for some, a multiplier was also lost.  It was
decided that we would allow both portable stations to count and then rescore
the contest after updating the log checking software.
During this process, it was also discovered that a step had been omitted during
the original log checking. Performing this additional step improved checking of
miscopied call signs, which for some entries changed what had been considered
contacts with unique calls into busted QSOs.  Because accuracy is exceptionally
important in this contest, we are releasing corrected results.  The changes did
not affect any of the overall winners, but did change the order of finish for
some of the Top Ten spots.  One Division winner changed.
The new data has been uploaded to the online database and new LCRs and line
scores are available, although we will not be rewriting the results article.
We have added a note to the beginning of the full results article and appended
updated tables.
We apologize, but as most will agree, it is important that we publish accurate
results with the correct order of finish.   Thank you to the participants who
brought this to our attention and all the folks behind the scenes who helped to
discover and fix the additional error and produce the updated results.  If you
have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
73,
Matt Wilhelm, W1MSW
ARRL Contest Branch Manager

860-594-0232