Re: [CQ-Contest] Counting uniques

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Counting uniques
From: W0MU <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 11:55:33 -0600

Much of this can all be avoided by sending in a log.

Maybe the answer is to ask the logging software guys to add in something like automatic sending of logs after a contest. They would be checklogs if nothing else were done. Other options could be added.

The day of realtime logging is probably not that far off in the future.

It might not fix the issue with the guy that really does only make one contact with some rare entity or very few contacts, but could help further delineate true uniques from true busts.

I recall a SS I did after N0RK (SK) (WB0IWL) passed away and I forgot to email the log in or I botched it and never caught the fact that the log was never sent. I looked for my score and never found it. Emailed the ARRL and they said they never got a log. So these things can happen.

Uniques will never go away but I don't think that they should be removed unless they can be proven to be busts. obviously high unique rates would require further investigation.