[CQ-Contest] When do we spot? Should it be required?

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] When do we spot? Should it be required?
From: Edward Sawyer <EdwardS@sbelectronics.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 14:22:45 -0400
Taking a look at my spots this morning.  It is very surprisng
when you are spotted and when you are not spotted according
to DX Summit.  Are there other locations where spots exist on
SSB that is not shown here?  I had a number of runs during the
contest and was never spotted according to DX Summit.  A nice
JA run on 15M and very loud and fast 20M run to EU on Sunday
afternoon, neither of these ever appear despite producing
probably 400+ Qs in the log over a few hours.

With CW, the RBN system is an effiient harvester of signals
that basically instantly populates the band map with spots.
There is no such system on SSB.

The major contests call asking to be spotted a violation. Every contest,
I either hear or am asked a few times regardless.  I am very fine
with this being considered unsportsmanlike.  However, with the
increasing number of contesters having a contest experience that
is nothing more than clicking on spots, its becoming
equally unfair for stations to be spotted in very disproportionate
frequencies.

I put this question to the contest sponsors and the assisted and
multi-op contest community: What is your responsibilty to make
spots of stations?  Are you just a harvester?  Or do you contribute
to the process?  It would seem to be in everyone's interest that
doesn't "spin the dial" much, or at all, anymore to make sure that the
interaction is bi-lateral.

Should a minimum spotting requirement be added?  We have a minimum
ID requirement in CQ major contests?  How about a minimum
spotting submission requirement for those using the system?

I personally like the unassisted experience.  But being a "ghost"
in the bandmap world doesn't help anyone in contesting anymore.

73

Ed N1UR