Re: [CQ-Contest] When do we spot? Should it be required?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] When do we spot? Should it be required?
From: "Peter Dougherty \(W2IRT\)" <contesting@w2irt.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 12:27:59 -0400
-----Original Message-----

>>I think you are overlooking a big difference between CW & SSB contests -
the number of channels available. To the extent that self spotting would
enable more "2nd tier" contesters to hold frequencies for longer periods,
that would reduce the number of frequencies available for the lower tiers.

[pjd] As a third-tier contester, I welcome the challenge <g>.  I can hold a
frequency so long as I have a constant stream of callers. When I'm CQing to
dead air my "neighbours" start encroaching bit by bit and pretty soon I'm
run off.

>>Lower sunspot numbers will make this worse on the high bands.

[pjd] Not necessarily, since 15 and 10 have a lot more elbow room. If
there's any life on 10m, there's a space for even a QRPer to run if he can
actually be heard.

 >>I am neither for nor against the proposal, but it could have the above,
probably unintended consequence.  To the extent that lower tier contest
stations are prevented from the fun of CQing, it could harm SSB contesting.

[pjd] I also have to wonder how many "lower tier" contesters even try to
run, even with self-spotting allowed. Until a few years ago I was strictly
an S&P guy, even with a half-decent tower, yagi and 1500W. Even now holding
a run is difficult and I make more S&P Qs than run Qs. I would consider 1st
tier stations to be the EU and NA multi-multi powerhouses, 2nd tier are the
guys with a couple of 100 foot+ towers and stacks, 3rd tier guys with a
single tower and a couple of yagis, 4th tier a small tower and yagi or
Hexbeam. I think the 3rd and 4th tier guys would get a massive boost in
being able to occasionally solicit spots from others and the occasional
self-spot is such practice were to be allowed.

[pjd] In my own case, those 15 spots I received this weekend yielded about
500k to 1M points to my score (I'd really have to break it down to see
exactly).

GO FRC!
Peter, W2IRT

www.facebook.com/W2IRT