Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting and Health

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting and Health
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 06:54:15 -0500
>As a group, we've become a bunch of old fat guys who don't get enough exercise,
and far too many of us can be seen being wheeled around the aisles of
hamfests on "mobility scooters."

It truly breaks my heart so see so many friends heading for an earlier than
necessary grave.  Think about this: "There Are Old People and Fat People,
But Few Old Fat People"
https://www.fightaging.org/archives/2008/08/there-are-old-people-and-fat-people-but-few-old-fat-people.php

But  you're not fat?  If your Body Mass Index is >25, you're officially
overweight and classified as obese if >30:
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm

We're literally eating and lounging ourselves into an early grave or
ensuring a poor quality of life in later years than necessary.  So many of
our nation's chronic health problems (e.g. heart disease, diabetes, joint
pain, etc) could be prevented by simple changes in our exercise and eating
habits, as simple as briskly walking 20 minutes a day and eliminating
sugar/carbs from our diets (and BTW diet colas are NOT good for you).

As we give thanks to God today for our health, let's resolve to change our
habits before we become another unnecessary statistic.

73 & Happy Thanksgiving,

Bill  W4ZV