Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it time that the contest sponsors officially identif

To: George Dubovsky <n4ua.va@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it time that the contest sponsors officially identify SCP as "assisted?"
From: kd4d@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 14:56:06 +0000 (UTC)
Hi George:

I think this paradigm is too limited:  "no outside source of Call/QRG".  As
stated, it permits local skimmers/multi-channel decoders and totally automated
stations.  I strongly believe that these items should not be allowed in any
"Unassisted" (pick a name :-)) category.

I also think RTTY is different than CW/SSB, but I'm not a RTTY contester.

For CW/SSB contests, I propose:  You receive NO information about propagation,
active stations, band openings, or solar conditions by any means other than
received by ear from the band(s) used in the contest and directly from the
station involved.

I haven't been able to come up with a better formulation of a paradigm than "by
ear" to prohibit automated stations or local skimmers.  This also, as stated,
would prohibit band scopes/panadapters.  It also prevents the "did you hear
VY1JA" sort of conversations in Sweepstakes.  :-)

It does put people who use CW decoders in the "Assisted" (pick a name :-))
class unless the sponsor makes an explicit exception.  How to word that
exemption to eliminate automated stations and multi-channel decoders isn't
obvious to me....

73,

Mark, KD4D