Re: [CQ-Contest] Let's eliminate "QSO B4"

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Let's eliminate "QSO B4"
From: brian coyne <g4odv@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 16:18:28 +0000 (UTC)
      From: brian coyne <g4odv@yahoo.co.uk>
 To: "n3rd@arrl.net" <n3rd@arrl.net>
 Sent: Wednesday, 9 December 2015, 9:47

>> I had a guy call me on 15m in the CQ WW CW where he had  a
>>> "Report" button on his computer:
>>> {MyCall} {MyCall} PLS COPY 59914 59914 TU ES 73 DE {HisCall)>>> {HisCall}
>>> SK

Yep - and I wondered just how many of those guys, along with OM2015TITANIC and
xx90IARU stn's,  ZF2MJ had to handle and still maintain that phenomenal rate!
To get back to the subject matter,  I for one am in favour of 'QSO B4'.If I fat
fingered Gilles call as VA3EW originally then that saves me a bust, although
many 'holier than thou' types on here would regard it as a sin to amend my log.

Additionally it could save Gilles a bust too - if I made a previous pass on his
qrg and called a stn wkg close to him that he could not hear he could answer
and think he worked me. Unfortunately, as we often hear, not all callers have
the consideration, nor the sense, when hearing two stn's come back to them to
then start the contact with the  c/s of the targeted stn.
As a runner it is tempting to just work the dupes but if they do not ID
frequently they deserve all of the dupes that they get but best practice , as
been mentioned by others, is to  immediately respond to a 'NO' by wkg the
dupe.  There is nothing worse than being in a pile for a needed mlt who, more
often than not, maybe a less experienced op. There will be a long pause then
the op comes back and says 'Your qso nr 456 and the discussion goes on and on.
Of course I speak from a privileged position as having such a short contest
call I do not get many cluster busts and I do ID after no more than three
qso's..
73  Brian  C4Z / 5B4AIZ.