[CQ-Contest] [ ars technica ] "Winners act as thick as thieves"

To: cq contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] [ ars technica ] "Winners act as thick as thieves"
From: Steve Sacco NN4X <nn4x@embarqmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 14:02:41 -0500
I always enjoy reading about the psychology of competition, etcetera, in other domains. I'm passing this along FYI, as with all the rigorous log checking, I believe our competitions and competitors are, on average, quite honest.

Winners act as thick as thieves
People who win contests more likely than losers to steal from their peers.

[ SNIP ]
A new study published in PNAS, however, suggests that winning a competition may end up making us behave dishonestly, adding further nuance to the paradigm of the “good sport” and the “sore loser.” The work indicates that winners were more likely to steal money from peers during subsequent interactions, perhaps due to feelings of entitlement. While previous studies have shown that honesty and dishonesty can influence the odds of winning a competition, this study presents new data suggesting that these influences go both ways.
[ /SNIP ]

[ SOURCE ] http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/02/winners-act-as-thick-as-thieves/

73,
Steve Sacco