[CQ-Contest] K9YC ARRL DX QRP

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] K9YC ARRL DX QRP
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 23:08:48 -0800
Many thanks to all the great operators who worked to pull my QRP signal out of the noise. I am amazed at your ears and your skill! Contesting from Northern California is hard enough, but reducing power by 25 dB is like having both hands tied behind your back!

I have come to working DX contests for two reasons. First, the challenge of QRP stresses operator skills and emphasizes good antennas and choices of band and operating times. With 1,500W, you can make QSOs when the band is marginal; with QRP, you've got to do it when the band is optimal.

QRP also exposes the weaknesses of stations on the other end who have put all their energy into transmitting, with little emphasis on receive. There are dozens of stations who missed my QSO points because they couldn't hear! D4C got me on four bands, while E2X missed me on four. Hearing means decent RX antennas and working at killing local noise. I've spend weeks chasing down and killing noise in my QTH, and I still have new noises from my neighbors that I have to chase. It's a never ending battle -- my noise on 160M has gone to the roof, especially to the east and northeast.

Lots of stations, especially in Asia, were CQing endlessly with no responses. The early contesters in China got the message, and some of those early guys have established contest stations that can hear really well. This time around, E2X was loud, but deaf. There were many others.

If you can't hear them, you can't work them. I'm planning an NCJ article on this topic. Again, thanks to all who did the heavy lifting on their end to put me in their log.

73, Jim K9YC