Re: [CQ-Contest] Another grip..... Slow down!

To: <john@kk9a.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Another grip..... Slow down!
From: "Stephen Bloom" <sbloom@acsalaska.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 19:05:09 -0900
Like most things ..it varies on conditions.  My normal out of the box run
speed is 30-32 wpm ..if conditions are good ..especially if I'm running
Lower 48 or JA and they are loud ...I'll stick at that ...or maybe even push
it up to 34 ...when conditions are hot ...best thing for me and the folks
I'm working are going as quickly as possible ...get the pileups down ..so
the weaker signal guys can get in.  S&P ..I'll go at 28wpm ..unless the run
station is working fast and signals are good.  At slower times ...I'll drop
it down as low as 18-20 ...s&p at whatever speed the run station is going
at.  The ratio of all that would be far different ..were I at D4C.  I might
well run at 38-40 the whole time ..if I didn't run out of stations to work.
We're all trying to find the sweet spot of maximizing points for our
situation.  We have one guy up here who isn't a high speed CW op yet (WL7F)
and runs Low Power to boot.  He sits high in the band ...runs at 18-20wpm
and does real well.  One size doesn't fit all.

BTW as for cut numbers ... other than 5NN ...I think it is more trouble than
it is worth ...because whatever is saved by a few less dits or dahs ..is
lost by the split second need to translate ..I think with the exception of N
and - for 0 ..we don't have it in muscle memory (or whatever you would call
it).

73
Steve KL7SB