Re: [CQ-Contest] Little Pistols Running: begs the question - do they wan

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Little Pistols Running: begs the question - do they want to?
From: Scott Ellington <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 12:49:07 -0600
On 3/9/2016 06:04, kr2q@optimum.net wrote:
A lot of guys simply ENJOY S+P and do NOT enjoy running.  I think this is
especially true of
the so-called "casual" guys you later refer to:
Ah, but it's hard to enjoy S&P when you can't find anyone new. Who wants to spend 30 minutes searching through dupes for every new contact? Imagine 2 years from now, when 20 meters is the only band open in the daytime. Taking into account clicks, etc., there's room for perhaps 300 CW stations, and far fewer on phone. By the second day, many of us have long since worked all of those stations, and most of them are running at very low rates. Meanwhile, many more S&P operators, most of whom have probably not worked each other, are either fruitlessly scanning the bands, or off doing something else. It seems there just has to be a better way! (Yes, assisted helps, but not all that much.)

Now, suppose someone new happens to find a run frequency? To find that new station, everyone has to sort through the 299 dupes, and maybe this new station isn't all that loud, so the rate is low.

Personally, I find trying to run when the rate is less than about 70/hour to be utterly boring, and I'd rather S&P at half that rate. It doesn't maximize my score, but it's a lot more fun. However, when the S&P rate gets down to 2/hour......

73,

Scott  K9MA

--
Scott Ellington  K9MA