Re: [CQ-Contest] K5GO speaks out for youth in contesting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] K5GO speaks out for youth in contesting
From: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 18:11:58 -0500
A long term Buddy of mine since the 1970's He ws my second contact on 2 meter SSB,
He just took over the job of the guy in charge of contests in the ARRL.

I was talking to him a while ago about the horrible turnout that the "Rookie Roundup" has. I know it was supposed to be bringing back the old Novice Roundup. but it has failed miserably. I mean when a single contact made and you can come in first place in your section, is pretty bad. I asked him about bringing back the old Novice roundup the way it was ran back when it was a super popular event.
But it was far too radical of changes.

But today I asked him this below, as far as a change goes, it may help some old timers try something new.

Hi Bart,

Hey Mr. Contest.
Have you been reading all the conversations on the various reflectors about how to get new people into contesting?

Rookie Roundup.

I know I touched on this one item before with you and I was far to far out with major changes to it. So a no Go.

BUT............

How about this change? Especially with all the talk on the e mail lists, on how and when an amateur may get into contesting.

Make one change in the Rookie Rule.. Right now in RR it states.
3.1.1. Rookie entries are limited to operators who received their first amateur license during the current year or preceding two calendar years. (See rule 4.1) 4.1. Rookies must have a check from the current year or any of the preceding two calendar years. For example, in the 2015 Rookie Roundup events, Rookies must have a check of 15, 14, or 13.

While this is Rookie Roundup. And is set to encourage newly licensed operators to try contesting.

How about this one simple change? Instead of being Rookie as in being Licensed.

How about Rookie as in Contesting?

Like the Wisconsin QSO Party Rookie Class?

The rules for the Rookie category are:

    No previous WIQP entry other than in the Rookie category
May enter this category no more than twice and entries must be in two consecutive years
    Entries may be single operator only

This way even established operators can try contesting as a Rookie...
Thoughts?

Joe

I haven't gotten a reply as of yet ..

Joe WB9SBD

P.S. I Just loved the old Novice Roundup format. I wish they would bring it back
Sig
The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com