[CQ-Contest] Leading Zeros etc.

To: <CQ-Contest@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Leading Zeros etc.
From: "John P. via CQ-Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 11:37:18 +0000 (UTC)
I've been trying a theory this year in contests that seems be proving out: In
CW contests, don't send leading zeros but in SSB and RTTY do so.
I'm not about to send full zeros in CW and I think TT3 or T99 causes more fill
requests than just sending 3 and 99.
But on SSB contests, seems more ops ask for repeats if no leading zero - throws
their rhythm off.Sorta like how many get confused in the Stu Perry or some
state QSO parties that don't require RST - meaningless fill but people are used
to the rhythm.
RTTY, my data seems mixed - since the norm is to send the exchange more than
once, not so necessary BUT a single digit makes for an awful click target in
the RTTY window, so I've erred on the side of including leading zeros.
Personally, on SSB receive I don't mind the leading zeros as it gives me a head
start on decoding the speaker's accent before the meaningful data comes out.
I could live without anyone sending cut numbers on any meaningful part of the
exchange, so I with you on CW.
73 John K3TN