Re: [CQ-Contest] cqcontest.net

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] cqcontest.net
From: kd4d@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 13:35:34 +0000 (UTC)
Hi Rudy:

This discussion not about "creating a category" for those who don't want to get
better - the category exists in many major contests now.  In fact, the ARRL
created new categories (Unlimited) specifically to allow one operator to use
all the new technologies being discussed.  They ARRL previously classified
these operations as "Multi-Operator".

The discussion is whether to eliminate the existing single operator categories.

There are two fundamental questions  I think we should consider about the
nature of radiosport.  I think these are relevant to the discussion:
1) Are contacts between people - do people identify and make contacts?
2) Are contacts between two physical places using radio waves?

The Unlimited Class answers NO to the first question.  Computers can identify
and make the contacts without human intervention.  Robots can compete on an
even basis.  BTW, I expect a robot to win a major CW or digital contest within
10 years.

The Unlimited (CQ calls this Assisted) Class in the CQ 160 CW contest answers
NO to the second question.  Remote receivers are allowed.

I think Chess provides a model Radiosport can consider.  There are three
categories in competitive chess that I am aware of:
     a)  Single Operator:  Prohibits suggestions on moves and strategy from
computers or other people during the competition.
     b)  Computer:  The machines play each other.
     c)  Unlimited:  A "combined class" where teams of humans and computers
compete with each other.

In Radiosport, the categories can co-exist in the same competition!

73,

Mark, KD4D