Re: [CQ-Contest] General to Extra... Contesting advantages?

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] General to Extra... Contesting advantages?
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2016 08:58:51 -0700
Congrats on your upgrade. I remember how I felt 55 years ago when I made it.

The upgrade can help your scores by giving you access to more of the bands, but what matters a lot more is building your operating skills and your station. WHERE you operate can affect your score even more.

Interesting fact. John Laney, K4BAI, is one of the very best CW contesters I know. He's an OT like me (we've been working each other since Jr. High School), but he didn't get his Extra until a few years ago. John goes to a station on Bonnaire (PJ4) to operate big contests, where he regularly turns in top scores.

I've been contesting since 1956, but I didn't start getting halfway good at it until I joined a really good contest club after moving to W6 in 2006. The mentoring I received from many top contesters has made me a lot better, and I'm having a lot more fun. I suggest that you look up some of the top contesters in your area and ask for help. W4OC might be a good start -- I work him in most NA contests. Another great resource is the National Contest Journal, a bi-monthly publication that's an additional subscription. It includes lots of articles by and about top contesters, station-building tips, and so on.

73, Jim K9YC