Re: [CQ-Contest] Printed scores and spatial concepts

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Printed scores and spatial concepts
From: Dave Thompson <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 14:57:42 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
Charley, K4VUD, HS0ZCW pleas for printed scores to appear again in QST.  CQ is
doing an experiment of printing them again.  Thank Rich W2VU and Dick Ross,
K2MGA for that.

I tried for several years to convince ARRL to again put printed scores back in
QST to no avail and I had several allies with no success.  My argument was
that in 30 years you could look in an old QST and get your score.  At the
moment they appear on the ARRL web site BUT where will they be in 30 years. I
keep old QST copies where I won or placed well in contests. The June 1959 QST
shows my picture as a young lad placing 3rd in the ARRL Phone SS (yep that was
AM phone). I gave a possible example of a young college YL placing well in a
contest being able to look back in a QST to see her score. The question is
where the score will appear in say 30 or 40 years. Technology is changing fast
and who knows where we will be then. Many of us spent money to get old
magazines on microfiche or now on CD's or DVDs but all of that will be
obsolete.  Magazines and print will still be available even if only PDF or a
modern equivalent.

I say keep the scores on the web BUT also lets see them in print.

73 Dave K4JRB