Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R simulator...

To: Douglas Ruz / CO8DM <co8dm@frcuba.co.cu>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R simulator...
From: Martin LU5DX <lu5dx@lucg.com.ar>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 17:27:26 -0300
Hi Doug,

With N1MM I usually use two PCs, two Morse Runner instances (one on each computer), and two keyboards.

For just one computer, DXlog.net allows you to set it up really easy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifbgmCourKA

For more flexibility, if using just one keyboard you may want to use a keyboard with plenty of macro keys. So, with a single keystroke you can start typing in calls in the inactive radio window without switching RX focus, send Fx memories in the same way, etc. Much like having two keyboards.

But it depends on how you want to approach SO2R. The latest fashion seems to be using two computers, two keyboards, software/hardware interlock with no noticeable delay. Some SO2R controllers have a very high delay when swtitching audio. That really hurts the rate and the bad calls total.

As far as audio is concerned, I noticed that complete isolation between the two channels is not good at all. So, depending on the impedance of your rigs audio outputs, put a resistor between the two channels to let a small fraction of the audio drain to the opposite channel. That makes stereo RX a pleasure. Withouththat, it is not, specially for those of us who are really far away from EU/USA and JA (increased signal degradation because of the distance and number of hops).

Hope it helps,

Martin LU5DX