Re: [CQ-Contest] FCC Notice of Proposed Rulemaking On Digital Mode Bandw

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FCC Notice of Proposed Rulemaking On Digital Mode Bandwidth
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 16:23:05 -0700
On Fri,7/29/2016 12:40 PM, Bob Poortinga wrote:
Jim, I think you are overstating the impact. The only change in this NPR is
removal of the symbol rate limit of 300 baud for HF (which doesn't seem to
be enforced anyway). There are no band plan changes proposed.

Not quite. The Commission is asking several questions here about bandwidth limitations and sub-bands.

Here's what a thoughtful NCCC member (and serious operator) wrote after a quick read.

73, Jim

A quick read seems to indicate that the FCC agrees that a baud rate limit is meaningless since it is not a bandwidth limitation. However, the FCC seems to *disagree* with ARRL that a specific data bandwidth must be implemented.

So, I think FCC is about to open up all the MF and HF bands except 60 meters for unlimited bandwidth digital. The reasoning seems to be that the FCC was swayed by arguments about ham radio being a laboratory for ideas so they should allow new modulation methods without restrictions.

FCC is asking for input from hams starting now as to if we think a bandwidth limit should be imposed, ans what that limit should be .. with good reasons !!

I don't read these types of documents very well so if I've mis-read something please let me (us) know.

Personally, I think a digital bandwidth limit of 300 Hz is fine with me, but probably not practical today. The ARRL was pushing 2.8 kHz because that's what the FCC did for 60 meters. While I think that's too wide in the lower 50 kHz of the bands, it may be the practical value to go with in terms of getting SOME limit.

From a political viewpoint, it makes little sense for us to dump a whole bunch of crap on the FCC. We would be better served if we come up with a plan and then we ALL dump that SAME plan on them rather than a range of ideas.