Re: [CQ-Contest] Hints and tips for NAQP

To: Timothy Holmes <taholmes160@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Hints and tips for NAQP
From: Jim Stahl via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 13:36:13 -0400
Tim,

A very wise contester once pointed out that there are no major secrets to
contesting, just a lot of very small things acquired from experience over time.

The main suggestion I’d share is obvious: just get on the air and do it!

The other, directed toward newcomers, is to not hesitate to call CQ. You’ll
want to start by calling people, but as you observe the rhythm of the contest,
try a few CQs. This may work best on a band that is not the busiest contest
band at the time - in NAQP, for example, 40 meters during the late afternoon
before everybody comes down from the high bands. By 2300z, 40 will be quite
crowded and intimidating to a newcomer.

Seeing that you are in Ohio, do get on the following weekend for the Ohio QSO
Party. In state operation in a good QSO party is perhaps the best place to get
one’s feet wet in contesting. If you’d like to talk more about that, we can do
so direct off the reflector.

73  -  Jim  K8MR