Re: [CQ-Contest] How to start a run

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How to start a run
From: Charlie via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 11:27:43 -0400
 Tim,

Unless you're using a *balanced* tuner, like the Johnson Matchbox or a balanced
L-network with the balun at the input (50 ohm) side of the network,
you cannot assume that your feedline is truly balanced.  The impedance at the
end of your 32 foot run of window line is assuredly not purely resistive -
there is a considerable amount of reactance - and baluns don't handle reactive
loads very well.

An balanced feedline can easily become unbalanced if there are any metal
objects close to the line, even if you are using a balanced network for tuning.

I would not be surprised if your feedline is radiating - which may or may not
be a bad thing.

73 es GL!

Charlie  N9CO