Re: [CQ-Contest] Alpha Amp Owners and Service

To: "'Herbert Schoenbohm'" <herbs@vitelcom.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Alpha Amp Owners and Service
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 14:22:34 -0400
Glenn AE0Q knows a lot about the 87A, too. As of about 3 years ago he was
still with the company. I hope he's with the new owner now. Brad knows more
about the 87A than anyone on the planet. I'm sure he's seen everything that
could go wrong with that amp. A newsletter piece from late 2013 indicated
that Brad had become a part-owner of the Alpha division. Hopefully, he made
some money on the sale but still works for the new company.

Typical story about Brad: My amp suddenly started getting faults when I
transmitted. Glenn sent me instructions for troubleshooting those faults,
which revealed a bad transmit PIN diode. I replaced the PIN diode and the
amp was able to transmit, but still got one of the faults when the power got
close to the max 1500W. I was discussing this with Glenn on the phone when
Brad happened to pass by and overheard Glenn's end of the conversation. He
told Glenn to tell me to check L1 on the T/R board. Sure enough, the
insulation under that coil (a rubber pad) had disintegrated over time and
the coil was arcing to the PC board. I couldn't see it because most of the
damage was under the coil. The arcing is what caused the PIN diode to fail.
I replaced the insulation and rewound the coil, which fixed the problem.

The 87A is one of the great amp designs of all time and was built like a
tank with the highest quality parts. I've been pounding on mine in contests
for 21 years. But the amp had some flaws and was never really completed. One
of the biggest problems was lack of programming expertise at Alpha. I don't
know the full story, but I think they lost access to whoever wrote the
original code. That code has many problems, chief among them the order of
fault processing, which often results in misleading fault codes. Dick
Ehrhorn himself admitted that to me. They also ran out of program space. As
I mentioned in an earlier email, the custom-programmed parameters for each
amp were saved on a computer, but the data was lost. Had this not happened,
owners could easilyt have replaced a damaged CPU without sending the amp in
for service. Everyone knows about the issues with the PIN diodes -- in
addition to the failure described above, I've also replaced a couple of RX
PIN diodes (much cheaper.) Had to replace the input band switch, too, which
was defective from day one.

This transition is troubling. I hope the new company will continue to repair
the 87A, but if not I hope they will give us access to the remaining experts
and make parts available.

73, Dick WC1M