Re: [CQ-Contest] Packet killed single Op

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Packet killed single Op
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 12:19:27 -0800
On Mon,11/28/2016 7:19 AM, Art Boyars wrote:
I do not know what
special skills are needed for "assisted", but they sure are nothing like
the skills I developed for single op, especially Little Pistol.  (Having
the loudest signal in the pileup may be a worthy achievement, but I would
not call it an operating skill.)

Exactly right, Art. And it's even more frustrating when you're QRP, and from W6. This year's CQWWCW was pretty much a non-event for us on the west coast. Unless you had stacks, EU didn't exist. I heard no EU on 40, only a few stations on 20 -- the low extent of the AU oval that W3LPL described killed it. Things were considerably better when not going through the oval -- the better stations from AF and ZD8 were pretty good copy, and both ZD8W and D4C had no trouble hearing my 5W.

73, Jim K9YC