[CQ-Contest] LED Dimmers

To: "'cq-contest@contesting.com'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] LED Dimmers
From: ac0w@charter.net
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 12:51:34 -0600
I'm going to expand on what Larry state.
1. Make sure the dimmer is a true LED dimmer and not an incandescent
or fluorescent dimmer repurposed. A misapplied dimmer will generate
RFI.
2. Most true LED dimmers require both the equipment grounding
conductor (green wire) and the neutral conductor (white wire)
connected to the dimmer for proper operation. The dimmer will work if
improperly wired but again generate RFI.
3. Load rating, some dimmers that state work with LED have some
different load ratings and loading requirements. If those aren't
followed, problems will develop. This is most typical with
multipurpose dimmers. They will give an incandescent rating say 600
watts but in the fine print will find something like LED minimum of 10
watts maximum of 100 watts. If this isn't followed again problems
develop. On LED's it is always best to use dimmer that is designed
specifically for LED and not a incandescent that says will work on
LED's.
Lutron and Leviton both make good quality products. The problems I
typically see are misapplication of the product and improper wiring.
BillAC0W

 Message: 6