Re: [CQ-Contest] GW4BLE SK

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] GW4BLE SK
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 21:47:56 -0400
Damn !  That's rotten news.  I knew from reading his 3830 WW SSB report he
wasn't in perfect health, but I had no idea.

We had a short email exchange just before CQWW CW and he never answered my
question (I had asked what call he was going to use in the contest)

and I thought that was odd he never replied, but I never inquired twice as I
just assumed I'd find him regardless.

I had actually emailed him thanking him for all the recordings he had made
of all his contacts in the contests over the years. I thought it was so cool
I could go look them up on his page and be reminded of that contact years
later by listening to the recordings.   He happens to be one of only a
handful of UK stns that I can actually always remember his name in the heat
of a contest, though I do recognize many callsigns.  I just have worked him
so many times, the name is burned in. WOW L

He certainly will be missed.

Be at peace, Steve.

Mike VE9AA

Hello all.

I'm sure you'll be sad to hear the news that Steve GW4BLE passed away in the

early hours of Friday the 2nd of December, his wife Mandy was with him to
the

end.

He was born in South Wales in 1952.  He grew up in what was probably the

hey-day of Amateur Radio.  As a teenager he was a member of the local

Blackwood Amateur Radio club, where he  rapidly progressed from SWL to fully

licensed Amateur.  He became a keen DX'er but what really motivated him was

contesting.  He simply loved it.  His favourite was, of course, CQWW SSB.

Anyone around the world who has ever taken part in an SSB contest will

recognise his callsign.  Steve was one of the good guys, fiercely
competitive

but always ready to offer help and encouragement.  Scrupulously honest in
every

respect he was an excellent operator who was always ready to adopt new

practices and squeeze the most out of his station.  He crammed more antennas

into his small garden than one might have thought possible!

Steve had been diagnosed with cancer a while back.  It seemed as though the

surgery had been successful in eliminating it.  He was a a fighter and
always

positive. Unfortunately, over time, complications developed and in the end
his

cancer returned with a vengeance.

Amazingly , even in very poor health, Steve managed to put in an entry for
this

year's CQWW SSB contest.  He simply said he wanted to be a part of the
greatest

contest in the calendar.   Many of us have lost a dear friend and the world
of

Amateur Radio will be a poorer place without him.

73 Ian G3WVG

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB