Re: [CQ-Contest] K4VX - SK

To: cq contest <CQ-Contest@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] K4VX - SK
From: Dick Frey <k4xu@bendcable.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 15:26:56 -0800
I met Lew for the first time in summer of 1988 when I moved to Quincy, IL across the river from Hannibal. He invited me to play in the CW WPX. It was my first time in a MM and, not knowing me at all, he put me on 10m. We had a great opening to JA and Lew's "elephant gun" played great. I did three back-to-back >150/hrs, all on paper, which was sent by the page upstairs where Lew laboriously typed it into his computer and sent back a bigger dupe sheet. Must have passed the test because the next time there I got to play on 20m.

It was an education every time I went. Operating procedures, tactics, antenna theory ...the works. His wife Terry was a great cook, a ham too, and she took great pleasure in feeding the crew. And the crew was eclectic. It was a chance to meet and train with some new talent - W4AN, N5TJ, NN1N, and some old timers - K9FD, K9BGL, K5OT, K0CA, K5GO, N9JF and others lost in my increasingly unreliable gray EPROM.

Lew's energy and devotion to the hobby are legend. We all are poorer for his passing.
RIP Lew.

--
Dick Frey, K4XU