Re: [CQ-Contest] Why am I seldom spotted automatically?

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Why am I seldom spotted automatically?
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 17:34:14 -0500
I don't really think the paucity of RBN receivers in easy range is the answer - we have active skimmers in Singapore, Malaysia, India, several in JA, and several in China (including one near Shenzhen). All told, we have over 160 skimmers on the air during a typical weekend, more during contests. During the ARRL CW test, the RBN made over 4 million spots; during last year's CQWW CW, it was over 6 million.

Do you CQ often, Charly? When you CQ, do you sign your call twice, and send a keyword like CQ or TEST? Try transmitting TEST TEST HS0ZCW HS0ZCW. Bet you'll be pleasantly surprised. The Skimmer software tries hard to discriminate between runners and callers, and the RBN aims only to spot runners.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.