Re: [CQ-Contest] DX Summit Spots and more

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] DX Summit Spots and more
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 08:50:39 -0700
On 03/02/2017 03:51 AM, Ed Sawyer wrote:

My point is that the general belief in the contesting community today is
that if you are on CW today you are "automatically spotted for everyone" and
the need for manual spotting for CW is gone.  The belief is that everyone
that matters is connected to a node and sees the RBN spots.  Unfortunately,
actual data on the air suggests otherwise.  There is still some meaningful %
of contesters using web window based tools that are not seeing RBN spots and
therefore not seeing spots until they are manually done.

They are not contesters. They are folks who make a few contest QSO's. Nothing wrong with that.

For them, RBN has
actually decreased the effectiveness of their world of assisted in the last
few years.

They will learn that there are far better tools for getting spots than DX Summit, and those tools integrate nicely into their general-purpose logging software. They will also learn how useful the RBN is, and learn how to properly set filters.

For CW contests, I find it hard to believe that there are very many who use web-based spotting tools, such as DX Summit. I look forward to some hard data, but be careful how you gather that data. The correct way to gather that data is to take the log of a big gun, such as W3LPL or 9A1A, and, for every station they worked, find out how that station found the big gun:

- Tuning the big knob ?
- Packet cluster, non-RBN spot ?
- Packet cluster, RBN spot ?
- Waterfall/spectrum scope display ?
- Web-based spotting tool ?
- Text message from a friend ?
- Other ?

SSB contests are a very different story. I believe that there are much larger numbers of non-contesters working the big guns who do not use packet clusters, but may use web-based spotting.

73,
Steve, N2IC