Re: [CQ-Contest] bad internet servkice (was mea culpa)

To: MARK BAILEY <kd4d@comcast.net>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] bad internet servkice (was mea culpa)
From: Radio K0HB <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 16:58:53 +0000
Mark, I'm not sure that they're necessarily trying to eliminate anyone.

To understand some of these sorts of proposals, you need to understand the
demographic of "rule makers".

Worldwide there is a universe of perhaps 15-20,000 "frequent contesters"
("frequent" = "at least once a year").

Within that universe is a self-identified group of a few hundred "Someone
Big in Contesting" ("SBiC") people.  These are the folks who populate the
contest committees, the CAC, the "Top Ten" boxes, etc.  Good contesters who
have larger-than-average investments in the sport.

They don't think of a contest as a "pass time", but as an opportunity to
validate their SBiC creds..

They write the rules, and the rules will be influenced (skewed) towards the
SBiC mindset.

73,

HB

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 06:44 MARK BAILEY <kd4d@comcast.net> wrote:

> Good day:
>
> I actually doesn't WANT to be connected to the internet when playing on
> the radio as a single operator.  Assisted and multi-operator activities
> already require an internet connection to be competitive.
>
> Forcing internet connections for all participants looks to me like another
> effort to eliminate single operator categories.
>
> 73,
>
> Mark, KD4D
>
> > On March 30, 2017 at 10:42 PM Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > I'm with you, Scott.
> >
> > > Martin N4UU said: "I also think that next big step would be real time
> log checking. We are all hooked to the internet why not"?
> >
> > Sorry, but we are NOT all hooked up to the internet from some locations
> > where we contest, and even from home, some of us have internet that is
> > slow and/or erratic. W6JTI wins contests QRP from an isolated
> > mountaintop in Northern California where he has no internet (and no cell
> > service). I have no cell service at home. Hundreds of my neighbors have
> > no cell service at home. My internet (Comcast) experiences repeated
> > random dropouts at all times. During a recent storm, Comcast, telco, and
> > PG&E were all down for three days.
> >
> > Some contesters have been having a good time with real time scoreboards,
> > and I think they should be encouraged. But to make it a requirement is
> > unreasonable.
> >
> > 73, Jim K9YC

73, de Hans, K0HB
--