[CQ-Contest] CQ WW contest rules and rulings

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW contest rules and rulings
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 10:15:16 -0600
I am fairly certain that the passage below has been part of of the rules for decades in one form or another.

*XIII. DECLARATION:*

By submitting a CQ WW DX Contest log, and in consideration of the efforts of the CQ WW DX Contest Committee to review and evaluate that log, an entrant unconditionally and irrevocably agrees that he/she has: 1) read and understood the rules of the contest and agrees to be bound by them, 2) operated according to all rules and regulations that pertain to amateur radio for the station location, 3) agreed the log entry may be made open to the public, and

4) accepted that the issuing of disqualifications and other decisions of the Committee are official and final. If an entrant is unwilling or unable to agree to all of the foregoing, the entrant should not submit the entry or submit the entry as a Checklog only.

Where does it say in the rules that we as the peanut gallery are owed any explanation whatsoever? I appreciate that they committee has opened up to us when they do not have to. Debating Disqualifications or bans on the internet generally never ends well. Most times the organizers are attempting to limit the PR damage to the participant but some continue to deny and cry out to the court of public opinion, who never have all the facts in a dire attempt to get pity or empathy so that we will pressure the organizers to change their minds. I would like to see more transparency but I also see value in not humiliating participants.

As participants and competitors I believe we should be able to discuss rules and violations in a civil manner. Personally I may have crossed that line a time or two and jumped to a conclusion without all the facts.

Disqualifying people is no fun. Follow the rules, whether you agree with them or not or don't play. The self spotting rule was in effect for the CQ WW DX contests in 2016 and people broke the rule. Because I think self spotting should be allowed does not make the rule go away. We all agreed to the rules by submitting a log.

These people are volunteers.  If you think you can help then volunteer.

I do not believe that CQ-Contest should be used to argue DQ cases in public. This list is not the Supreme Court of contesting.

W0MU