Re: [CQ-Contest] New Amps: Elecraft KPA1500 & FlexRadio/4O3A PGXL

To: David Siddall <hhamwv@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] New Amps: Elecraft KPA1500 & FlexRadio/4O3A PGXL
From: Ria Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 12:00:41 -0400
We live in very exciting times and I predict that for serious stations,
tube amps will soon be a thing of the past.

IMD of the Elecraft amp should be very good. It uses two devices instead of
one. With adaptive predistortion it will be even better.

Separate power supply may be advantageous in some situations such as easy
field replacement or even powering from battery power in a pinch
(DXpedition/mobile). I don't like the idea that it is 240v only because
sometimes for portable operation you only have 120v available. PGXL and SPE
expert both can run at 120v, at reduced power.

No SO2R is puzzling. It is so easy to do, and is going to be the standard,
I think and is one of the advantages of a solid state amp.

An ATU is nice to have. It is also going to be limited because beyond 3:1
SWR at legal limit you're going to run into the limitations of toroidal
coils and relays. Roller inductors would be the only way, but see the Alpha
4040 which is a complicated piece of machinery. I wouldn't put too much
stock in the lack of a tuner in any amp, but it's a nice to have for sure,
and to me is more of an equalizer with tube amps that can tolerate a high
SWR by tuning the tank circuit to compensate. But nice to have. I should
point out that PGXL while it doesn't have a tuner can work up to 2:1 SWR
without issue, it just derates. The LDMOS devices can handle up to 66:1
SWR, it's just that the filters and other components cannot. SPE Expert
amps can handle up to 3:1 with automatic tuning but you can tune it higher
manually, just be careful with the power level you use.

The ethernet port is very interesting. I am hoping they can eventually use
it with Flex and Anan transceivers, or maybe natively remote. Even the Icom
7610 apparently has an ethernet port now.

I am hoping that this would push the FCC to consider Bob Hardie's petition
to finally get rid of the outdated 15dB rule. This way a K3/10 can easily
drive an amplifier to full legal limit. As it is a 100 watt PA is a waste
in any station that uses an LDMOS amplifier. You can get full legal limit
with only 1-2 watts drive without the pad attenuator designed to satisfy
FCC regulations. My SPE 1.3K-FA is an import (personally imported) so it
doesn't have such a restriction and it is really nice to drive to 1kw and
beyond with just 5-8 watts.

73
Ria, N2RJ