Re: [CQ-Contest] DQ for operating out of license privileges

To: "'Ria Jairam'" <rjairam@gmail.com>, "'CQ-Contest Reflector'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] DQ for operating out of license privileges
From: <n1cc@jlaporta.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 09:03:38 -0500
Ria you added:

"I also hear of contesters (particularly in WPX) "borrowing" calls. Not club
calls but individual calls. Said operators are sometimes halfway across the
country. Is this legal?"

In most cases of call borrowing it is perfectly legal in the USA by FCC
rules.
1.      You can loan your call by sending a letter (email) with a copy of
your license, and specifically state: "You, John Doe, are authorized to use
X#XX on-the-air under the provisions you're your personal FCC license." that
clearly tells the using operator that they must operate under the terms of
their personal FCC license, and that would or should be how the DQ would
apply if a "General" operated out-of-privilege with an "Extra" callsign.
2.      You can use the call sign of your family member who shares your
station physically under the "family members" privileges.  An example is
Linda NE5LL, my wife, lets me use her call in WPX - and sometimes she will
make some contacts... and we enter as such in M/S category as SO Assisted
would not apply - and I do that when using SSB ... she even makes a few
contacts, but does not like SSB.  When I "borrow" her call for CW WPX then I
can be either SO or SOA and perfectly legal.  On RTTY WPX she does some of
the operating, as she likes "Digital" and I also operate, and you will note
that I enter as M/S for that event.
3.      You can operate using a "Club Call" with the trustee's permission,
however, you MUST operate within the limits of your own personal ticket.
Then enter SO or SOA without fear of DQ.  However, if you do stray outside
of your license "privilege" then you should be DQ.
4.      Most M/S, M/1, and M/M groups have one or more "in=privilege"
operators at the site during the contest, and that is OK - and there are
zero FCC rules about 3rd Party contacts anymore that apply to a contest
operation.
5.      Something that I do find in contravention, and should result in the
creation another "class" of entry is the use of a remote station by one or
more remotely-connected operators at the same time.  If ANY of these
operators do not qualify as a control operator for the class of the remote
stations license, then ALL should be disqualified, or a special "REMOTE"
class needs to be created in the contest rules, something like "RM/**" or
"RS/**"

Just my opinions, and the result of a bit of research into the FCC rules.

Bob: FYI

73, Jim

Jim, N1CC
Contesting and DX