Re: [CQ-Contest] Are beams needed for competitive contesting from the Ca

To: Rudy Bakalov <r_bakalov@yahoo.com>, CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Are beams needed for competitive contesting from the Caribbean?
From: Ria Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 02:09:53 +0000
Hi Rudy,

They aren't needed if you're close to the water. Many have used verticals
on the beach with great success. Especially since we are headed for solar
minimum low bands will be more easily done with verticals.

For beams and towers, salt water air could be a problem, especially if
you're on the east coast since the trade wind blows from the Northeast. I
remember in NE Trinidad even the telephone lines were always noisy due to
corroded connections. But it's not an insurmountable problem and if you're
inland it's not too much of an issue.

Ria
N2RJ