Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R rigs

To: "Fco. Luis Delgadillo" <xe2b@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R rigs
From: Marty Sullaway <marty.sullaway@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 10:09:06 -0400
Marty Sullaway
Hi Luis,

Marty, KC1CWF here.

Let me start by saying that I have used both of them in fairly serious
contest environments. I used a TS-590S in ARRL DX SSB 2015, and have used a
pair of IC-7300s in CQ WW SSB 2017, NAQP SSB 2017, WPX SSB 2017 (1 radio),
Field Day 201y (1 Radio), in plenty of Phone Freys, etc. Anyway, I have a
good sense of both of the radios, and know them each pretty much inside and
out. I personally prefer the IC-7300 over the TS-590S. The ergonomics are
certainly more friendly,  and the RX is certainly better (Sherwood agrees
here), one can't forget the touch screen either. I find it quite easy and
fun to use, and I have really not had any big issues to note: A few things
I really should point out. The TS-590S has native RX antenna input. This is
certainly a plus for that radio, although DX Engineering sells an external
relay box to fix this issue, and there are now plug in modules available
for ~30 dollars to fix this issue, it is something to be noted. Some people
have complained about the IC-7300's issues handling strong signals, I have
yet to see that issue, often times doing SO2R on city lots with 1.5kw and
big antennas. All and all I think the IC-7300 (SDR), is the best bang of
for the buck,

Cue Debate!

​Marty
​KC1CWF​