[CQ-Contest] America's cup Sailboat racing not what it used to be

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] America's cup Sailboat racing not what it used to be
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 08:12:33 -0600
Did anyone watch these races? Did you notice the technology now required to race a sailboat?

Even sailboat racing is embracing major changes to their sport. Why can't we?

They have on board computer navigation. The course is laid out electronically based on the wind.

It is rumored that the New Zealand boat had a computer algorithm trimming the sails and keeping the boat level out of the water. Yes these sail boats now "fly" over the water.

Most of the manpower on the boats is used to generate power for their hydraulic systems that keep the boat riding out of the water and turning the sails.

These boats are amazing it I really enjoyed watching the races. New Zealand built a great team and a great boat.

New Zealand now gets to write the rules for the next running and they get to set the date and place of the race.

W0MU