Re: [CQ-Contest] America's cup Sailboat racing not what it used to be

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] America's cup Sailboat racing not what it used to be
From: "Randy Thompson K5ZD" <k5zd@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 23:05:46 -0000
I fell in love with America's Cup racing when they were in Perth.  I
remember staying up late at night watching these guys battle weather and
waves.  The strategy and tactics involved lots of close racing with one boat
trying to block the wind of the other.

I actually learned to sail by watching the races. The things I saw on TV
were things I could duplicate when I got the chance to use a small sail
boat.

The current America's Cup boats don't act like sail boats.  They are flying
above the water.  The races don't seem to involve as much close racing
(although there is some, especially around the start).  But, I am not
falling in love with sailing the way I did watching the earlier years.

Not sure there is a good analogy to compare radio contesting changes to the
America's Cup changes.  Both show signs of technology being pushed ahead,
sometimes not always in traditional ways.

I do hope the next holder of the cup returns to more traditional boat
designs.

Randy K5ZD