Re: [CQ-Contest] Ham Radio Versions

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Ham Radio Versions
From: Wes Plouff <nwplouff@wideopenwest.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 15:27:42 -0400
(Tacking onto the improved topic name, much better than "America's Cup.")

To all the "ham radio 2.0" naysayers, wouldn't it help to see what N0AX actually had to say before
criticizing it? The video athttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rLlQeAVb08  is Ward Silver giving a speech on "Ham
Radio... What Now?" a year before the SMC presentation mentioned up-topic. N0AX talks about ham radio heading
toward "version 2.0," but he never implies anyone should "get out of the way." He says instead to
look at where new hams are coming from and not be complacent. Instead, N0AX wants hams to embrace change, embrace
experimentation and embrace outreach.

Change is not all cluster spots and remote operating. I don't operate in
contests using Hammarlund or SBE rigs, paper logging or strictly cut-and-try
antennas. It's not likely many serious contesters on this list do, either.
SO2R, SDR transceivers, post-contest analysis software, weak-signal digital
modes, SteppIR beams, all of these are somewhere beyond ham radio 1.0. Yet I
doubt many who use them are telling others to get out of the way. They're just
making more contacts.

As for outreach, at Field Day, my local club made a point of putting lots of hams on the
air, contest newbies who say "please copy" in every exchange. We also parked
our GOTA station on 20 meter phone for most of the event, forgoing many points on a prime
band. If we didn't do things like these, though, how would the curious get hooked on ham
radio, and casual operators catch the contest bug?

New blood in the hobby is always going to bring new ideas with them. Ward
Silver is not advocating anything radical. He is an ARRL guy, after all.

73,
Wes Plouff AC8JF