[CQ-Contest] Ocean Waves Predict MW & HF Propagation

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Ocean Waves Predict MW & HF Propagation
From: David Siddall <hhamwv@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 17:48:26 -0400
Soon we might be tracking ocean waves as an additional predictor of DX
signal path propagation.

Interesting article is this month's CQ Magazine (July, 2017) @ p.10 by
N1DAY.  David used a 5-watt 160 meter WSPR signal to analyze "... what can
happen when an HF signal is reflected from the ionosphere onto a turbulent
ocean?"

 "Ocean conditions in the areas of predicted reflection of 160-meter DX
signals ... to Europe were recorded on a nightly basis from January 25
through February 27, 2017.... [A]nalysis demonstrated a significant impact
of wave height on 160-meter WSPR signals received in Europe...."

A very interesting analytical article providing food for thought and the
basis for future exploration.

So instead of praying solely to the Egyptian God Ra for strong signals, we
should consider also giving the Greek God Poseidon his due when we wish to
have good propagation over the oceans.

I hope for all competitors a smooth ocean surface during this weekend's
IARU championship!

73, Dave K3ZJ