Re: [CQ-Contest] Gotta love those IARU cut numbers

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Gotta love those IARU cut numbers
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 17:25:04 -0300
Art,

I never played in this years IARU, so have no dog in the fight.

I don't like cut numbers to begin with, but absolutely abhor cut numbers

in a mixed exchange contest (ie: the exchange cam be a number, an acronym,
an abbreviation etc)

Was it truly 11? AA? Who knows.

In 99.99% of cases I just copy what is sent and let the volunteers sort out
the log.

I try not to presume what someone "meant" to send.

In the recent RAC contest a funky W5 callsign sent me a serial # of 1153.  I
knew it couldn't be right, but that's what he sent.

Later in the contest, he was sending 600+ serial numbers.

Whatever.

Mike VE9AA

This is for the hundreds of you who did not read my long post on

3830scores.com.

I had not studied the lists of HQ or IARU Officials mult's, and I don't

have them in my logging program.  Some time after I worked an IARU

"AC" mult I worked a K4 Special Event station (1x1 call) who sent

"AA" for his zone.  "OK," I thought, "if there are 'AC' officials, then

there could be AAs," and I logged it as AA.  Then I glanced at the zone

map, and saw what's in zone 11, and changed the entry from AA to 11 (DURING

THE CONTEST!!).

ENNTD, or whatever.

73, Art K3KU

Mike, Coreen & Corey