[CQ-Contest] CQWW Assisted - Is it just another Urban Myth

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Assisted - Is it just another Urban Myth
From: "Holger@9h3m.com" <holger@9h3m.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 10:13:13 +1200
No top operator in any contest is unassisted! The moment you get spotted by any
skimmer or other Ham you get assistance!
Only because you don't use the cluster at your station does not make you
unassisted.

I would like to see this acknowledged by more organisers in combining assisted
and unassisted classes. In my eyes not doing this is cheating already!
Especially since it is impossible to control this.

The reason why the top operators join unassisted lays in the WRTC qualification
rules. To gain maximum points you have to enter SO unassisted. So the top
operators are forced to use those classes. And the main reason for endless pile
ups are not the super skills but the spotting assistance they get. Another
driver is the status given to those classes. Unassisted is established as the
premium over assisted. Look at the forms of awarding and acknowledging results.
There is a tone of discrimination when it comes to assisted class.

We down in the Pacific know exactly about the power of cluster spots as only
after we get spotted we have runs!!! No one points antennas towards us
otherwise. If I do unassisted I can tell when I got spotted. I can even tell
you if it was a skimmer or dx-cluster.

If you can't arrange to block unassisted claiming operators from getting
spotted on any network you are operating assisted no matter what you claim.
Pleas stop lying to yourself!

73 Holger- ZL3IO/ZM4T