[CQ-Contest] Missing the point on SS

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Missing the point on SS
From: Art Boyars <artboyars@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 19:01:57 -0500
People who think that QSOs once-per-band is the right way to "fix" SS are
missing the point.  K9MA has made it clearly: the only-once format gives
smaller stations (myself) a chance to be not so far behind the bigger
stations.  Operator skill (and experience) can overcome some of the
hardware advantage.

If you make it a once-per-band contest then it will just be NAQP with a
longer exchange (but only the QSO NR will change after the first band, so
your software will fill in the rest for you); and you are edging toward the
Sprint contests: loudest 100 guys see who can work each other the most
times in four hours.

It would be no fun for us little guys, and I think we would not
participate, except maybe as occasional "fresh meat", so the serious
competitors would have to fight each other to work us :>)

N0AX made the other point:  It's  >>supposed<< to be hard.  It's just a
different kind of hard than seeing who can point-and-click the fastest.
(Oh, you are "unlimited"?  Try turning off the spots and twirling the big
knob while you hunt for new QSOs and mult's. It's a blast!)

73, Art K3KU