Re: [CQ-Contest] SS and CW contesting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SS and CW contesting
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2017 09:19:18 -0700
I have listened to recordings of SS from the 60's and 70's. What strikes me is how much slower CW speeds were then. You needed to troll in all of those newly-hatched General's, who could copy only slightly more than 13 WPM. Obviously, this slowed the rate on Saturday, leaving many more QSO's to be made on Sunday. If you tried running at 35 WPM, you would quickly run out of QSO's.

Fast forward to today. With very few slow speed contesters out there, we are working each other at 30-40 WPM, with high rates. No one left to work on Sunday.

As a datapoint, the 1968 winner of SS CW was KV4FZ, with 1000 QSO's. The QST writeup has some interesting photos - WA5LES (now K5RC), K5YAA (still K5YAA !), WA5RTG (now K5GO), WA2CLQ (now K1ZM).

73,
Steve, N2IC