Re: [CQ-Contest] Interesting Youth In Ham Radio (was Digest)

To: Matt NQ6N <matt@nq6n.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Interesting Youth In Ham Radio (was Digest)
From: Art Peters <k0acp@k0acp.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 12:01:20 -0500
Matt,

Great points, at our high school club, there is incredible interest in making,
but 90% focuses around PICs, Arduino’s, & Raspberry Pi’s mostly around High
Altitude Balloon, HAB, payloads.  Now in our 4th year, we have seen some uptick
in interest of operating, and did successful SCR participation and have 3 or 4
students (out of 20) to get on HF and make their first Q — it is magic to watch
their face light up!  But you are definitely right on, they are interested in
integrated stations (computer & radio) with automation coming quickly as the
world that they are used to, this is a bit of a challenge for some of our
mentors, who want to start from the theory of discrete components and work
toward crystal radios, then onto discrete components, then ...

I believe that both approaches will appeal to different constituencies;
however, the former approach of starting with the integrated station and then
dealing into the theory, seems to be more effective on a broader base.

My take away is that there is no one single bullet and that we will need
multiple approaches; however, from my observation, if not a statistically
significant sample, is that this approach in getting them online then work to
fill out operational and theoretical competence has offered an appeal to a
broader set of students that we have the privilege to interact and offer a road
to hamdom....

73,

Art / K0ACP

Sent from my iPad