[CQ-Contest] port expanders

To: cq contest <CQ-Contest@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] port expanders
From: Dick Frey <k4xu@bendcable.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 15:42:16 -0800
I am helping an old-timer operate his very simple contest station from a laptop with three USB ports, two of which are mechanically intermittent. Because his antenna is close by, if the shield of the USB cable is intermittent, he has FRI trouble. He needs three USB connections: wireless mouse, Signalink, and his K3 (via an FTDI USB to RS232 cable). Since this is an Apple notebook (running Win10), getting deep enough into it to repair the USB connectors is problematic.

I am attempting to use the remaining reliable USB port though a 1:4 USB "port expander" to the mouse, Signalink and K3, but it only works for the mouse. The Device Manager does not see the other two devices.

What kind of a USB port expander is required? I need a description or model. Cost is not really an issue here though he'd rather not replace the laptop.

--
Dick Frey, K4XU