Re: [CQ-Contest] FCG Letter to ARRL BOD

To: "'Chris Plumblee'" <chris.plumblee@gmail.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FCG Letter to ARRL BOD
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 16:28:33 -0500
An excellent letter from the FCG.

I would point out, however, that Article 11 of the current ARRL Articles of
Association gives the BOD the power to expel any member for "good cause",
though that term is undefined. This is not altogether unusual -- most
employment contracts use the word "cause" but don't define it. The proposed
amendments leave that provision in the Articles and adds similar language to
the By-Laws (dropping the word "good", which could be problematic from a legal
standpoint.)

The more significant change is the proposed amendments that explicitly give the
BOD power to remove a Director by terminating his/her membership. While one
might argue that such power is implied by the current Articles (because
Directors must be members), there's basis for a challenge that it doesn't apply
to Directors. The amendment codifies the power. While this gives the BOD the
power to overrule the will of a Division, there's an argument that the BOD
needs the ability to remove a Director who disrupts the proper functioning of
the Board (this can and does happen, and can't be tolerated.) I'll propose a
compromise below.

It should be noted that the current Articles and By-Laws give the BOD
considerable power over Board composition. The Committee on Ethics and
Elections has the power to determine if a candidate is "eligible", with no
definition of that term (other than a valid US license and continuous ARRL
membership, both for at least four years) and no requirement to disclose the
Committee's reasons for disqualification. Similarly, the Committee also has
the power to reject a recall petition by ruling that it's not "valid" (also
undefined), countering the right of a majority of Division members to remove
their Director. The proposed amendments make it worse: they allow the Committee
to rule that a recall petition contains "false or misleading" facts, with no
definition of those terms, and add lengthy delays to the recall process. The
amendments strengthen the power of a minority collection of Directors --
members of the Committee on Ethics and Elections -- to keep their preferred
candidates in office.

Finally, the current and proposed Articles give a super-majority of the BOD the
right to amend the Articles and By-Laws. Connecticut law requires that
Directors of non-stock (non-profit) organization be elected by the membership,
unless specified otherwise in the Articles. Thus the Board currently has the
power to transform the ARRL from a member-controlled organization to one that's
controlled by a self-perpetuating Board. Such structure is typical of many
non-profits, but I don't believe it was the vision of the founders of ARRL and
certainly would not please the current membership, without whose financial
support the ARRL would not exist.

Note that many of the proposed amendments make sense and strengthen the
documents. In fact, with a couple of exceptions, the infamous Code of Conduct
is very well done and is a model for how Directors/officers should behave. I
wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. I think only a few key edits
need to be done to make the proposals acceptable:

1. Add explicit language to the Articles and By-Laws requiring due process for
the removal or censure of a Director or officer. I believe this would be a
minor change because the proposed changes to the By-Laws require arbitration or
mediation in the event of a dispute among members of the BOD/officers. This
gets an independent party involved, which is the right solution. I think the
wording simply needs to make it clear that this provision applies in the case
of a BOD vote to remove or censure a Director or officer.

2. Add explicit rules and definitions that the Committee on Ethics and
Elections must follow in order to determine that a candidate for Director is
ineligible or that a recall petition is invalid. Such rules and definitions
should be designed to eliminate arbitrary or personality-based decisions. Put
another way, the will of a majority of Division members should not be overruled
lightly.

3. In that spirit, eliminate or greatly shorten the proposed delays before a
recall petition can be filed. Let democracy work.

4. When there is a vacancy due to removal or recall of a Director, the
President should retain the ability to fill the vacancy, but not for the entire
term, as is presently the case. Instead, a Division election to fill the
vacancy should be held within six months.

5. Change the Articles so they can only be amended by 2/3 vote of the
membership and make sure the member-controlled structure of the Articles cannot
be subverted by BOD changes to the By-Laws. This will require a national voting
mechanism, but that shouldn't be difficult in this day and age. See #5 below
for another reason to have a national voting mechanism.

6. In Section 7B of the ARRL POLICY ON BOARD GOVERNANCE AND CONDUCT OF MEMBERS
OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS AND VICE DIRECTORS in Appendix B, remove the words
"adverse or" from the sentence "Even with such a disclaimer, a Board member may
not make any adverse or false characterization of Board decisions that might
bring the organization into disrepute."

7. Revise Section 8 SUPPORT OF BOARD DECISIONS so that it does not prevent
public dissent or opposition to a BOD decision. The code of conduct does a good
job making it clear that Directors/officers must accept BOD decisions and not
undermine them, which is a good and appropriate rule. But there's a big
difference between not undermining a decision and publicly supporting a
decision with which one disagrees. It should be OK for a Director/officer to
publicly state that he/she is not in agreement with the BOD decision, or even
that he/she will work to change that decision, as long as the statements are
made respectfully and in such a way so as not to incite anyone to undermine the
BOD's decision. Members of Congress are allowed to publicly disagree with
legislation. Why not ARRL Directors?

8. Eliminate the proposal to give all officers BOD voting rights. Allow the
President to vote only when there's a tie. Consider giving the CEO a seat and
vote on the BOD. This is more common in for-profits than non-profits, but I
think it would be appropriate for ARRL, which relies so heavily on its staff.

9. Consider a national election for President and Vice-President of the ARRL.
Having the BOD elect these officers undermines the President's ability preside
over the BOD and ensure that it does a proper job of governance. If this path
is followed, it might be wise to amend the Articles and By-Laws so the BOD can
only remove the elected President by calling for new elections (essentially a
vote of no-confidence), and perhaps that decision should be subject to
arbitration or mediation.

10. Amend the Articles and By-Laws to have one Vice President. Additional Vice
Presidents, and their expenses, are not needed.

73, Dick WC1M