[CQ-Contest] 4U1 Stations Abound

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] 4U1 Stations Abound
From: David Siddall <hhamwv@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 11:11:34 -0500
Rather than hog the bandwidth, I've been waiting for someone to note that,
in addition to 4U1WB, there are multiple other United Nations stations that
do not count as separate DXCC countries.   4U amateur prefix stations are
United Nations-authorized and, as the name suggests, can be anywhere in the
world. C7 and 4Y are prefixes allocated and used by several of the UN
member organizations.

This past weekend in the WPX RTTY contest, in addition to 4U1WB (USA), 4U1A
(Austria) was active and submitted an entry.

4U0R has been very active in addition to 4U1A.  Both were on the air this
morning (Austria).

4U1GSC (Italy) also has been quite active.

4U2U (Austria) has been showing up regularly in October around United
Nations Day.

Then there is 4U1VIC (Austria).

A few more: C7A (World Meteorological Organization) and 4Y1A (International
Civil Aviation Organization).  Both are UN organization stations with
allocated callsign prefixes from the ITU and an assigned amateur station
callsign from the UN.

There even is a United Nations Amateur Radio Contest and DX Club based in
Austria, where a number of UN agencies are headquartered.

Other UN stations / callsigns have popped up over the years from UN forces
deployed to various trouble spots.

Just another facet of our fascinating hobby.

73, Dave K3ZJ