Re: [CQ-Contest] [DX-IS] Re: RBN Announcement on FT8 Spotting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [DX-IS] Re: RBN Announcement on FT8 Spotting
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 09:58:54 -0700
On 6/12/2018 6:13 PM, Radio KØHB wrote:
  What is the point of spotting something to me that is already clearly visible on my
computer screen (and if it isn’t visible, of what value is a spot)?

Since E-skip is so important during the summer months on 6M, I find the display of 6M spots on dxmaps.com to be extremely useful, and I send them a few bucks each year. I think that these spots come from the cluster network.

Sometimes that isn't clearly visible on my FT8 screen. This is often how I've been aware of openings in the opposite direction of where my beam is pointed. A month or so ago, it's how I found two JA openings a few days apart, while I was working east and on the other TX cycle.

73, Jim K9YC