[CQ-Contest] CW contesting with TS-590SG

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CW contesting with TS-590SG
From: Bill Mader <billamader@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 10:27:57 -0600
GM Bob,

We use N1MM+ for a spare radio to train ops and get them familiar with
operting FD.  Its operation can be very simple.

The easiest way to key your rig in CW is to use a WinKeyer by K1EL.
Connect it to a USB port on your computer, load the software/driver, and go.

A simpler and cheaper way is to use a USB to RS-232 converter (under $20
everywhere).  Build a cable connecting the correct pins, resister, and
transistor as shown at:
http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Serial+Parallel+and+Sound+Card+Interfacing&highlight=keying+circuit#Using_a_transistor

Any logger you use will require one of these methods to send CW.  N1MM+
just happens to be the best choice for contesting.

--
73, Bill, K8TE

Hi gang -
I am getting a TS-590SG and use Windows 10. Recently I used N1MM+ with a 7300.
I realize that this radio cannot accept CW keying directly from a USB port like
the Icom.
I am only an occasional operator at the moment and have the scantiest of
antennas. This may change. I would like to find a simple way to send CW from a
contest program to the 590. As you may know, it has USB, com, straight keying
and paddle ports.
The world uses N1MM+ and I have, but I don't care for it. I operate unassisted
so I would like something simple that would at minimum have templates for the
contests and country codes.
Please tell me what you think.
Thanks. See you on Field Day.
                                                  Bob N9GG aka WN3K